Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Senior sermon finished, now the "senioritis" kicks in

I preached my "Senior sermon" on Monday. It went well, but looking at the video makes me realize that I still have a long way to go. This process, sermon writing, reminds me of the time in my life when I relied on a bicycle as my main means of transportation (during college) and was hired to teach swim lessons at an athletic club that was 6 miles away from my apartment. The first time I made that ride...I thought I was going to die. The next week I thought I was going to puke up a lung. Over the next few weeks, I thought I would never be able to walk normal again, my legs were so sore.

But after I had made that 12 mile round trip a few hundred times--the distance no longer took its toll on me. I could ride all day without being sore. I found that the conditioning allowed me to be able to ride 100 miles of rough trail in a day, and I often did. I hope that sermon preparation and delivery is something like that. I think I have hit the "my legs are so sore" stage, but I am also very excited about the next 100 miles. To watch Monday's chapel sermon, click here.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

listened to the message today ... well done. I love that they taped it for you to see and learn from. Very powerful, applicable ending.

Karen Wagner said...

Amen brother David. I too have found this thing called preaching to be a taxing venture. I am also glad to have my senior sermon behind me. I have no doubt that you will soon be able to spend all day on the rough trail of sermon writing and be enriched by it all.